On 21 November 1884 a group of 30 men met in Clairville House and decided
that they would form a Conservative Club for Ross.
Clairville House, near the junction of Corpse Cross Street and Old Maid’s Walk is
now a private residence. Many may remember it with affection as Miss Mabel Morlings
High School from 1916 to 1958.
They took Clairville House on a seven year lease of £22. Sir Joseph Bailey MP,
performed the formal opening of the Club for the constituency on 10 June 1885,
followed by a banquet at the King’s Head Hotel.
In 1891, it was decided not to renew the lease on Clairville House, but to take up
of £25 a year for three rooms at the Corn exchange.
In 1907 the President, Mr S H Deakin bought the former Royal Oak Inn, Corpse Cross
Street and leased it to the club for a rent of £30 a year, subject to a rebate of
£5 for any year in which the stables were not let.
In 1922 the club bought the premises in Corpse Cross Street from Mr Deakin for £500.
In 1980, another prominent milestone in the history of the club was the move to
Hillsbough House on 1 March. There the Club remains to (Quote from original minutes)
“provide for members’ of social intercourse and rational recreation: to supply its
members with refreshments of all kinds of good quality and at moderate charges”.
It is worth noting that the same principles apply today!
Thanks to Janet Knapper who researched this subject.